How can I make sure I’m successful in media sales?
How long will it take for me to make a lot of money?
How quickly can I expect to be promoted?
It seems as though I am asked these same three questions all the time! By college kids about to graduate. By people in the workforce who are considering a career change to sales. By media salespeople just starting out. They want to know how they can be successful, make good money, and advance their careers. All smart things to think about!
I replied to someone just this morning and included my Top Ten secrets to success. As I hit “send,” I started thinking that I should share my response with you today. So here goes! (Keep in mind, this advice applies to any kind of B2B sales, not just media.)
Welcome to the wonderful world of media sales! I think you are going to love it. You will have the opportunity to help so many business owners grow their businesses while, at the same time, make a great living for yourself. It’s an incredible field to be in, but please don't get the idea that it’s going to be easy. It definitely will not be!
Hopefully you will work for a company that cares about and invests in their people because that leads to greater productivity on the team and a much higher level of happiness for their employees. Ideally you will sign on with an organization that provides their new hires with a great onboarding experience and strong sales training to give them a strong start and consistent growth. But remember, even if you find a company that gives you all of these things, it is still up to YOU to take these resources and get the most out of them. Your success is your responsibility.
Here are 10 tips to help you take your career success into your own hands and make it happen:
- Work harder than everyone else. You don’t have experience, so you have to outwork everyone.
- Be the first in the office and the last one to leave.
- Read and learn everything you can about your own industry as well as the industries of the clients you call on.
- Write out your goals, build a plan to hit your goals, and execute your plan.
- Remember that nobody owes you anything. Your success is up to you.
- It's work. It's not social hour. While hanging in the office with coworkers can be fun, it does not lead to success.
- The more appointments you have with clients and prospects, the more successful you will be.
- Face to face appointments are better.
- Don't get hung up in office gossip or drama! It's a time-suck and it does not lead to your goal of success.
- Have fun! After reading the 9 tips above, you are probably wondering if this could be fun. Yes! Success is fun and there is no shortage of fun when you are crushing it!
I’ve had the privilege of helping so many get started in this career and I’ve seen many examples of great success. I hope this helps you to get started as well.
I wish you good luck as you roll up your sleeves to outwork, outlearn, and outhustle everyone else! Please let me know if I can help you in any way.
PS. Even though your success is truly up to you, try to give yourself the edge by working for a company that provides great onboarding and strong ongoing training. It only makes sense.